Endodontics is defined as a branch of dentistry which deals with the Morphology, Physiology and pathology of the human dental pulp and periapical tissues.
The term endodontics was coined by Dr. Harry B. Johnston from Atlanta and it has been derived from the Greek word – “en” – within and “odous” – tooth described as the process of working within the tooth.
He was also the first Endodontist to practice in this specialization which was recognized by the dental world in 1928.
Endodontia was referred to as Pathodontia or Root Canal Therapy in the later part of 19th century which was changed to Endodontics by Dr. Harry B. Johnston.
History of Endodontics:
1500 BC – The theory of “Worms in Teeth” was the first important stepping stone towards giving importance to Pulp chambers and infection concerning it.
1728 – Until this year the worm theory was believed in, but Pierre Fouchard in his book “Surgical Dentist” dismissed the fact by describing a mothod of removal of offending pulpal tissue and filling it with Lead, by accessing it which was the cause and would bring relief, was the first documented instance and the important stepping stone towards Root Canal Therapy.
1820 – Leonard Koecher proposed the theory of using a heated instrument to remove or Steralize the infected pulpal tissue and protect the remaining healthy tissue with the use of lead foil.
1838 – Edwin Maynard used a Field watch spring to removev infected pulpal tissue.
1847 – Edwin Trumman introduced Gutta Percha as a filling material in place of lead to replace the pulpal tissue.
1870 – This was the first time Gutta Percha ws used as a single Obturating material by G.A Bowman.
1890 – Schreier used irrigation solutions in Root canal therapy for the first time
1928 – The term Endodontics was coined by Dr. Harry B. Johnston
1946 – The First Journal of Endodontia First issue was released.
1963 – A significant number of dentists limited their service only to “Endodontics”
1963 – American Dental Association recognized Endodontics as a Special and separate area of expertise in Dentistry
1965 – The First official Certification of diplomats was conducted which was a significant landmark in endodontics history. As the first batch of Official Endodontics were licensed to practice.
Endodontics is solely concentrating on removal of infection from the Root canal system and the art of protecting the tooth from Decay, Infection and eventually Extraction. In Endodontics we learn how to diagnose, access and successfully destroy the underlying infection with the help of various techniques which were developed and improved by many generations of Dentists.
The Topics to be learnt under Endodontics:
- Anatomy of Pulp Cavity
- PathoBiology of Pulp and supporting structures – Principle leasions of Endodontic origin, Microbiology of Pulp
- Diagnosis of Endodontic Disease – Like the use of Endo Ice Coltene which is a pulp vitality Refrigerant Spray
- Diagnostic Imaging
- Radiographic interpretation
- Endodontic and Periodontic interrelationship
- Diseases of Pulp and Periradicualr tissues
- Endodontic Instrumentation and Armamentarium
- Preperation of Coronal and Radicular Space
- Disinfection and Obturation
- Retreatment of Non-healing Endodontic Therapy and Management
- Treatment of Endodontic Infections, Cysts and Flare-Ups
- Endodontic Considerations in Dental Trauma
- Bleaching – Tooth Whitening
- Pharmacologic Managemt of Endodontic Pain
- Anxiety and Fear in Endodontic Patient.
- Endodontic Therapy in Primary Teeth.
Endodontics is a fairly New and advanced branch of Dentistry which is exactly opposite to Oral Surgery which gives Emphasis to Extracting the Tooth where as Endodontics is solely developed to protect the tooth and preserve the natural tooth a any cost to the maximum extent with the use of many techniques.
After preserving the tooth the use of modern restorative materials like
- Temporary crown and bridge restorations
- provisional restorations
- Calcium Hydroxide in Root Canal Therapy
- Light Cured Resin Reinforced Glass Ionomer Restorative and luting Cement
- Light cured radiopaque composite after Obturation is completed.
Endodontics is a branch of Dentistry which emphasizes on the Slogan of “Save the Tooth”.